studio Q meeting

studio Q met at my house last Monday. As always, I enjoyed the meeting immensely and felt creatively recharged at the end of it.

During the "show and tell" portion of the meeting (which is the best part!), Bethany showed a Christmas quilt that I had designed during my past life as a part of Itza Beach:


Wow! Blast from the past!

During the meeting I demonstrated soy wax batik. This piece was plain white pfd muslin stamped with a water glass and dyed dark orange:

The next piece was a yard of yellow I'd dyed several months ago. Everyone joined in, stamping it with slotted spoons, sprigs of rosemary from my garden, wine corks and bottle caps (and whatever else we could think of!) and drawing on it with the tjanting. If you click on the picture, you can see the drawings a little better:

I overdyed this piece with rust and chinese red. A closeup of the rosemary bits:

And the slotted spoon:

I wanted to try batiking and overdying a piece of commercial fabric. This was a piece of dusty pink. We stamped it with a potato masher and overdyed it with purple. Way better!
More to come!

Comments

Wow, beautiful batiks. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun!