I had some time this week to work on a new project of my own, an improvisationally pieced log cabin quilt. The center of each log cabin block is one of my hand dyed fabrics, which I dribbled with two shades of red, fuschia and ecru. I used commercial prints (the white polka dots on black and the tiny black polka dots on white), commercial batiks, antique kimono silks and some of my own hand dyed fabrics and batiks.
Here it is on my improvisational design wall (which doubles as my extra rolls of batting):
And here it is put together:
It is intentionally unsquare in shape. I hope to have time to quilt it this week.
The amaryllis in my studio has broken into bloom:
It is cold here today. Hopefully winter's last gasp!
A few more of my fiber art pieces that I finished last week. First, "Purple Sun." I made the top during a class with Joe Cunningham:
I quilted flames in the oranges and swirly batik and an angular pattern in the purple:
The second is a top I pulled out of my personal "to be quilted" pile, which has been growing over the last two years. Some of them are actually starting to turn into compost (not really. But the quilts on the bottom are really really old). This first one is a star made entirely of half square triangles:
The quilting in the star shows up better on the back. I did CC (continuous curve) in the half square triangles:
I quilted feathers in the background, swirls in the inner border and feathers in the outer border:
This quilt may look really familiar, and if so, it's for a very good reason. It's very similar to the quilt I gave Carol for her 50th birthday. Brian loved it, so I made another. I'm calling it "Solar Dance II": I'm back to quilting client quilts this week. But maybe I can sneak another of mine on the frame...
I've been quilting up a storm these last two weeks, in part because Boomer and I are banished to the studio. Workmen are repairing our pier and beam foundation, and Boom and I prefer to stay upstairs where it is much less messy and noisy. I'm actually current on client quilts, and have even quilted a few of my own pieces. Hooray!
I'll just show a few of the client quilts right now. Cindy gave me two little gems to quilt for her. The first is a "Fabulous Fall" quilt:
I quilted the quilt with an overall of curly-swirls, leaves and butterflies:
The second quilt was a cute Mother Goose baby quilt. I quilted it with a starflower and swirls:
The whole quilt -- soooo cute! I'll show pictures of some of my own quilts tomorrow!
I just finished quilting two carpenter star quilts for two different clients. They were almost exactly alike -- but that's only natural since my clients are good friends and made these together! They were fun to quilt -- the ladies wanted feathers, and I love to quilt feathers!
I quilted curly "c" feathers in the borders. They show up better on the back:
I did cc (continuous curve) in the half square triangles and feathers in the white spaces:
Here's the second one in progress. You can see the stars created by the cc reflected in the mirror. I love the way these turned out!