Tuning Fork #13 Reboot

Tuning Fork has been on the wall for months.  I started it last fall, and it has languished in an unfinished state since Thanksgiving.  In the process, since most of it was just sticking to the flannel on my design wall, great bunches of it fell off.  In fact, so much was on the floor, that I decided to made some major changes.

Here is a picture of the quilt in late November (before it lost too many pieces):
Before
I haven't been working on it, but I do stare at it (nearly) daily, so I decided that I didn't like several things about it:
  1. I hadn't incorporated any very large pieces or any very teeny tiny pieces.  I love to mix sizes, I love the texture it creates, but for some reason there was very little variation in scale.
  2. The yellow was too uniformly yellow.  It needed more golds and orange-yellows.
  3. I had not graded the background well enough.  I needed to make the gradation from dark to medium gray more obvious.  And I needed to go a shade lighter at the bottom.

I left parts of it untouched, but I have been making tiny blocks and making "golder" blocks all week.
After
Any opinions?

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday.  Check out all of the quilt art there!

Comments

Unknown said…
Love the changes- very nice.
Julia Graber said…
I'm enjoying your process and really I like both versions.
Sylvia said…
I enjoy your process. Looking forward to seeing this piece in its final version!
mad elena said…
Critiquing your own work is the tough. You're on the right track. Everything in this series is great.