Random Thoughts.....

It's been rather an odd week.  I've worked very hard and I've spent several days doing absolutely nothing.  It's given me a lot of time to think.


Random Thought #1

I finished quilting Metaperidotite #1.  I needed to finish for a entry deadline, and I did.  Despite the fact that it is difficult to quilt with a persistent cough.  And hard to sew the facing on.  But it turned out well.  
Metaperidotite #1, 53" x 53"
Metaperidotite #1, detail
Sorry for the slightly skewed photo of the full quilt.   I found that it's also hard to photograph with a persistent cough. Even if you use a tripod. Which brings me to....


Random Thought #2

I went to a quilting retreat during the last week of January.  Sewing and chatting and laughing and drinking wine -- you know the sort of thing.  But on Tuesday, halfway through the retreat,  I started to cough.  And I haven't stopped coughing since.  I HATE to be sick, and I'm a very bad patient. It's been pretty miserable.  Chills, fever, coughing, aching joints, persistent headache.  I've spent most of this week sitting on the couch binge watching "Midsomer Murders."


Random Thought #3

I love British mysteries.  Both to read and to watch.  Midsomer is my favorite (fictional) county in England, although I wouldn't want to live there.  The death rate is entirely too high.


Random Thought #4

While sitting on the couch, I've not entirely wasted my time.  I've been pondering my next quilt.  Which, by the way, I hope to start after lunch.  I think I can piece with a cough, or at the very least pick out fabrics.  And I'm feeling much less fuzzy headed today. Anyway, I could use some help making a decision. I have two pieces I want to make.  The first is the next mineral thin section piece.  The mineral is chloritoid, a fairly uncommon metamorphic mineral.  The mineral sketch shows a phyllite with radiating rosettes of chloritoid, and has a palette of blue and fuchsia and yellow and black.  Very bright.  The second is a quilt based on a photograph I took of the harbor in Helsinki last summer.  A very dramatic photo, masted ships in the harbor, colorful houses on the waterfront and a very big storm rolling in.  The palette would be pale pastels, gray blue water, gray and white sky, very moody. Which piece do you think I should start?


Random Thought #5

It's too darn warm here for February!  We haven't had a hard freeze yet this year in North Texas.  The temperatures have been very moderate, 60s and 70s during the day and upper 30s and lower 40s at night.  It's beautiful, but problematic.  The grass is still green (we still have to mow our St. Augustine lawn, which turns brown at the first frost.  The stuff is still growing!), the daffodils are not only up but in full bloom (very very early and my husband is very worried about a killing freeze), and I was bitten by a mosquito as large as a housefly on Groundhog Day.  There is something very wrong about that.

Well, it's lunch time.  No more random thinking.  It's time for action!

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall FridayFriday Fabric FrenzyConfessions of a Fiber Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Vivien Zepf said…
I love this post! So glad to read that other people's minds wander like mine does.
Stitchwhiz said…
Sorry to hear you've been sick. Take care! That's a good tip about the British mysteries. I too hope we get a deep freeze soon. It was fun being together at the retreat last week.
Jaye said…
Bummer! Sorry to hear you've been sick! Not fun! I thought a mosquito buzzed me the other day!!! Crazy!
Judy Warner said…
Hope you are feeling better soon. Just sitting sometimes is really productive in strange ways. What is your favorite British book?
canuckquilter said…
Thanks for sharing your random thoughts. Glad to know I'm not the only one with those sorts of wandering thought processes! Hope your cough disappears soon. Your quiltdoesn't seem to have suffered despite the challenge of quiltig while coughing!
Norma Schlager said…
I hope you've been see a doctor and certainly hope you feel better soon. The weather is crazy here in the North East, too. Yesterday it was in the 50's and today it is in the 30's and snowing like crazy.
Susan L said…
OMG... Someone else who likes British Mysteries and especially Midsomer Murders. Hope you're feeling better soon.
LA Paylor said…
have you discovered Broadchurch? It's so engrossing! And Murdoch Mysteries... I'm telling you Heather, 7 seasons ahead of you... great binge watching! First it BBC, second is Canadian.

LEeAnna
also liked midsomers, in the beginning before really gruesome
angie said…
Hope you are feeling better. Love the colors and the intricate piecing of this quilt.
Love this post and your wonderings. Hope you're feeling better soon. I too love watching Midsomer Murders, and totally agree with Lee Anne about Murdock Mysteries and especially Broadchurch, both seasons. As for your question, I vote the mineral piece. I think from following your blog that this one is in your heart and won't tax your fuzzy mind too much to start on it. Me, I could never begin an artistic piece with a head cold, but something tells me you'll be just wonderful, cold or not!