Cross Timbers Studio Tour

Saturday our local SAQA group took a field trip to Denton County, on the north side of the DFW metroplex, for the Cross Timbers Artists' Guild annual studio tour.  
Let me start out by saying that I LOVE to see how other artists work.  It doesn't matter what the artistic discipline is, there is something fascinating about seeing how artists organize their spaces.   And this tour offered a glimpse into the working spaces of potters, painters, jewelry designers, collage artists, furniture makers and, of course, fiber artists.
We started the tour at the studio of fiber artist/art quilter Barbara Oliver Hartman.  Barbara is a friend, a long time SAQA member and one of my quilting "idols."  And her studio, which is spread over several rooms, is wonderful.  
Barbara demonstrated how she creates her "confetti" mosaics.  It's a great technique, but you need to have a steady hand.  And you don't dare sneeze, or you may have to start over.
My favorite part of her "studio complex" is this room.  The warm walls perfectly complement her beautiful quilts.  It looks like the perfect place to do hand sewing or to relax after a hard day of quilting.
After Barbara's studio, we went to the studios of a watercolor and collage artist, a watercolor and pencil artist, a jewelry designer, a weaver and a potter.   I loved peeking into their workspaces.

Eric Orr's studio was wonderful.  He was one of the few who had their studio in an outbuilding.  And it was huge.  He uses it as both a classroom and a workspace.  
We were particularly interested in his Raku process.  And he explained it very clearly.
 I loved the little vignettes in his studio.  You have to love an artist who loves the Cat in the Hat.
 And I may have to print this photo and put it in my studio.  My new mantra....
It was a beautiful fall day spent in the company of some of my favorite people.  Bliss!

Comments

Jaye said…
Great day!! And such fabulous weather to be spending out doors!